Friday, May 15, 2009

FINAL SE BLOG

Final Senior Exhibit Blog

I am pleased to say that I have officially reached the end of the senior exhibit process. With my application, written document, and final presentation done, all that is left is this blog. Looking back, it has not been that bad. I definitely picked an easier topic, but I wanted to have fun with this project and I can officially say that I accomplished that goal. I truly love the sport of fly fishing and I can officially say that I have reached new levels. When I started this process, I could probably cast about 50 feet of line rather consistently. During spring break I went to the Bahamas with Andrew Cooper and through working on our casts for a while, I was able to hit 75+ feet. That is a distance I truly thought I could never hit.
The application I completed was the one thing I wish I could have done better. I wanted to an instructional clinic for a few friends and then maybe have then come out to the Rappahannock. Unfortunately, the second part of that was unable to happen due to scheduling conflicts. I think everyone truly enjoyed it and although they may never fly fish again, the basics are now bestowed upon them.
I sort of have mixed feelings about my written document. I don’t want to say I thought it was pointless, but I know that I could have put my efforts towards something a little better. I did the best I could with the fly fishing manual, but I was so much more towards actually teaching people because not a single person is going to read my manual. In the end, I did what I could and it is all ancient history now.
The Senior Exhibit process is something I truly will remember. I think this is because I picked something I liked. I am going to college in Clemson next year and I can almost guarantee that I will check out the local fishing scenes. I look at some of my friends like Nicholas who did Architecture and he says that he has absolutely no future in the area of work. Therefore the process might have been less for him than it was for me. The sad part about it is that he will probably score a much higher grade, but in the end, what will matter is how much I keep up with fly fishing and I know that it will be a lot.
I am happy the Senior Exhibit process is over, but I can say with conviction that it will have a lasting effect on me and that is bigger than the grade itself.

No comments: