Thursday, May 14, 2009

Presentation Blog




Rehearsal and Presentation Blog

I have officially finished the presentation part of my Senior Exhibit and it feels great. Despite the fact, I still have to do a written document; I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Sadly, I did not score as highly on my presentation as I wanted too. I feel that I can be a fairly good public speaker if I am comfortable with what I am talking about. In the end, I didn’t really struggle with the talking part of it, but I think my passion for the topic got in the way of actually showing people what I learned the impact the project had on me as a whole. I guess that this point it is already done, so it doesn’t help to see what could have been.
I am not lying at all when I say that I was significantly more nervous for my rehearsal than I was for my final presentation. Prior to my rehearsal, I had a solid idea of what I wanted to do. I had a giant, very descriptive, note document that I was going to use to guide me through my rehearsal and final presentation. I went into the rehearsal with much visual aid; I simply had pictures projecting in the background. Therefore most of the attention was on me. I had a few stumbles in the beginning solely because of the nerves. In the end, I thought I gave a pretty decent presentation and I didn’t really get any feedback, so I thought that was a good thing.
Unfortunately, after my rehearsal, my laptop proceeded to crash at the schools lock in. This really set me back because I lost my detailed note document, my written document, and three blogs two days before my final presentation. I was extremely bummed about this, but with some amount of perseverance, I managed to assemble a note document similar to that of my previous one.
The only twist I added to my presentation that was not in my rehearsal was the fact that I wanted to get the audience more involved, so I went to Wal-Mart and bought so small string and some large rings to teach everyone there how to tie a fisherman’s knot. This went extremely well, I got the impression that everyone liked it and I still today have people coming up saying they still remember how to do. Also, since it was raining during the time of my rehearsal, I was not able to take the group outside and teach them a little bit about fly fishing first hand. I was able to do this during my presentation and I think the people who got to try, found out firsthand how hard it is to fly fish, but they had a great time.
I do have some regrets about my presentation. I am kind of upset that I did not get any feedback from my rehearsal because when I gave a very similar presentation on my final presentation date, apparently I forgot to talk about some of the stuff that was vital to me getting a good grade. I kind of feel that my rehearsal was kind of a waste because truly nothing became of it. In the end, it is what it is and I can’t change what happened, but I feel that I did a pretty okay job on every part of my final presentation aside the reflection part.

No comments: